For the tourists, the Kaliningrad region has always been attractive – a сombination of beauty and mystery of ancient buildings and mansions with modern architecture. Everything is a living evidence of the European history: the defensive forts and ramparts, city gates, architectural monuments. Someone recalls Prussia, for another one this region is associated with the philosophical quests of Immanuel Kant.
The entire territory of the Baltic enclave is saturated with the spirit of the past. Different historical epochs had an effect on further development of the Amber Region, there are plenty of architectural and sculptural monuments, museums and galleries that are open to the tourists.
Architectural styles in Kaliningrad are linked together and constitute a strikingly harmonious overall picture of the city, the shades of the avenues and parks hide the sculptures and monuments dedicated to famous people and events that took place on this land. The city’s museums are so diverse that everyone can choose the interesting topics and get to know a lot of new things! Europe, in particular, Germany, left a strong mark. Everywhere there are Prussian houses with parks, ancient fortresses and Catholic churches in certain regions are seen more often than the Orthodox ones. Each town has two names, the German and the Russian one.
The castles of the Kaliningrad region are the inheritance of the state Teutonic Order that existed in the Eastern Prussia from the 13th century till the year 1525. A row of castles of the former Eastern Prussia, which territory now partially belongs to the Kaliningrad region, was built during the conquest of Prussia by the Teutonic Knights in the 13th century. A castle Balga became the first one on the territory of the region. It was founded in 1239 on the banks of the Vistula Lagoon and it`s ruins are still there. Totally, around forty castles were constructed on the present territory of the Baltic enclave.
Kaliningrad attracts most travelers by indescribable entourage of the port city, the Russian and European atmosphere at the same time. In searching the cozy panoramas one can visit a district “Fishing Village”, the houses built in German style – a sort of island of prewar Königsberg, Kant’s homeland. This place is popular for walking and is located on the Oktyabrskij island, covering an area from the Honey till the High Bridges. In the fishing village there is a viewing platform on the tower, called “Lighthouse”.
Königsberg during all times of its existence was called a fortress city which main symbols are the defensive forts – massive stone buildings in the form of a ring system. The forts were a protective wall blocking the way to the city. Totally, there are 17 forts on the territory of the city, 12 of which are large ones and 5 are small ones.